09 December 2010

Wikileaks, Anonymous and DDOS

I haven't actually made a comment on the Wikileaks affair here (I've limited my discussions elsewhere to the legal aspects around the rape allegations).

There's a place for whistle-blowing in journalism; I'm not sure that what Wikileaks is doing entirely qualifies. There's a fine line between exposing abuses and causing embarrassment. I know full well that I wouldn't like some of my private comments about people published over the Internet. Is the US government that different? I'll allow people to differ on that.

I make no comments on Mr. Assange's guilt or evidence; I just want a fair trial for him like anyone should have.

My ire today turns onto Anonymous. I'd seen some of them in Chicago two years ago protesting against Scientology; I wasn't fully aware of their hacking activities then.

To quote a member of this group: "As an organisation we have always taken a strong stance on censorship and freedom of expression on the internet and come out against those who seek to destroy it by any means".

Apparently, they don't want people to be able to exercise their freedom of expression in choosing to pay via Visa or Mastercard - many have no real choice to change at this time. Or tweet; Twitter being a great (if at times inane) tool for freedom of expression.

Anonymous may not like the Swedish prosecutors, but they have freedom of expression too.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope Obama can handle WL Change?

We NEED transparency for our global society that we created an cannot control.To many crises.
We'd never gone to Iraq if we read the cables first?

Redesign democracy now. It's E-government, not E-commerce tat changes our world (stupid!).
How can a few wise leaders alone solve complex global issues pending ?
Come on free press, write about the roadmap to E-power-democracy-morevote!

Silent Hunter said...

Well, that was fast.

Please note that there is a difference between freedom of expression and "fighting words" or illegal activity. The former is fine, the latter isn't.

I will not accept comments that are defamatory or highly insulting.