17 January 2015

How much for a 3D chess set? (Star Trek 1.2, "Charlie X")

Over three hundred quid it seems!

We go into another classic plot here, namely "major alien power ends up in the hands of someone who doesn't really know how to use it". The "seen it before" aspect is mitigated considerably by the fact that this is one of the shows that created said plot; I suspect I'm going to see some more of this as I make my way through Trek.

One particular character that is particularly standing out for me is Yeoman Rand. It's not the hairdo that could serve as a crash helmet, nor the ridiculous pink dress she sports in this one... but her uncanny resemblance to one Chloe O'Brian. It turns out that I'm not the only one to have thought that...

(It also seems that Grace Lee Whitney was rather shoddily treated back then. The 60s were definitely not a brilliant place to be female in television)

This is another enjoyable episode, but to be honest, I'm waiting for Sulu, Scotty and Chekov to turn up. The crew isn't complete yet.

8/10

No comments: